Saturday, March 6, 2010

Externship Heros

My Externship at Patisserie Ganache couldn't have been a better match. Their specialty is custom celebration cakes made to look like absolutely anything! (Special thanks to Chef Tim, who suggested that I look into them.)

Everyone there is CCA alumn, and Chef Ken used to be an instructor at the old Polk Street location. No one will yell at you if you make a mistake (even if you burn an entire rack of muffins because you forgot to set the timer:-/) This was especially helpful during the learning process. I was able to retain more of what I learned when I didn't have to stress over the prospect of being yelled at.

Cheese Wax Andrew, with a box in which to keep especially awesome externs ready at hand.


Cheese Wax (Chef) Ken, with a blowtorch for smoothing out all that cold butter cream.


Cheese Wax Angela, with cheese wax daughters Maddie and Chloe.


Cheese Wax Chris, with basket of baguettes, sour dough and croissants. (The tiny breads are made out of Fimo clay. Kid friendly and available at craft stores, it hardens quickly in a low-temp oven.)


The Cheshire Cat Cake, which I made during my last 3 days on externship. Thanks for letting me play, Ken!


Next up, a special Guest Artist segment, plus How I learned to Cook: Baptism by Fire!

No comments: