Thursday, February 19, 2009

Career Expansion

If you're lucky enough to make a living doing something you love, you know full well that the opportunity does not come without sacrifices.

A few months ago when I started this blog, I had come to the conclusion that working in theatre, sucks.  (Well, ok...  It doesn't really suck or those of us who do it wouldn't put up with constant job-hunting, little or no health insurance, spending hours in the car each day to commute to a low-paying gig on the other side of the bridge, divas, moody artists, and verbal abuse from our mentally unstable supervisors simply for the opportunity to have true job satisfaction.)

However, no matter how much we love something, we need time away from it to continue to appreciate it.  Over the course of last year, I finally burned out.  The effects were both physical and emotional and enough to send me to the doctor.  It was time to take a break and do theatre for fun instead of trying to make a living at it.

During that break, I discovered that this bizarre talent I have for detail work is good for more than just cheese wax, so I've decided to go to culinary school.  I will be starting the California Culinary Academy's Le Cordon Bleu Patisserie and Baking program this April.  







I love to bake, and even better, I love to share:-)  So I made this cake for my cast of The Three Musketeers at City Lights Theatre Company for Valentine's Day.  The responses were good!  And it turns out that one of my actors is a former executive chef, so I have it on good authority that the cake was actually edible...

I'm trying to talk the Production Manager and Artistic Director into letting me make them a cake for their Opening Night Gala.  Time to hit the think tank for some 3M theme ideas!

No comments: